Find out about FDM’s Coronavirus (COVID-19) preparations here
Ready to start a rewarding career in the ever-changing world of technology?
Software testing is a critical part of the software development process. Organisations are currently heavily investing in new technology and techniques to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of testing. These include:
- Test automation which involves using tools and frameworks to write automated test scripts using programming languages such as Java, C#, Ruby etc.
- Exploratory testing which involves defining and executing tests and raising defects concurrently to increase the speed at which we can test and provide feedback to stakeholders
- Supporting agile processes by improving the collaboration and development of shared skillsets between testers and developers
- You will have the opportunity to develop both business and technical skills whilst also making a large contribution to the successful delivery of high-quality software for world renowned organisations
From Software Test Analyst to?
As a Software Test Analyst, you’ll be involved in all phases of an IT project, which makes testing an excellent field for those who want to develop skills related to all aspects of software development. In developing cross functional skills, you will have the flexibility to progress your career into more senior roles including a Test Manager, Automated Test Analyst and roles outside of testing such as Business Analyst and Production Support.
What will I be doing?
An FDM Software Test Analyst will have the opportunity to:
- Review software requirements to ensure they are clear to all aspects of the business
- Work closely with Business Analysts to determine the scope of testing on projects
- Collaborate with developers to identify unit tests for their code
- Create automated tests to support build verification activities
- Create and execute tests to check the functionality of the software works as expected
- Raise issues with the development team when the application does not behave as expected
- Work with business stakeholders to identify the priority and severity of defects raised
- Re-test defects that have been fixed by the development team
- Engage the support team to identify workarounds and solutions for production issues
What will my time at FDM be like?
Once you join FDM, you will become part of a community of talented graduates. FDMers come from a variety of backgrounds but they all share a common interest – a passion for technology. Your journey will begin at the FDM Glasgow Academy, where we will provide you with 11 weeks of technical training which includes, but is not limited to, the following topics:
- ISTQB Certified Tester Foundation Level (an industry recognised qualification)
- Manual Testing i.e. how to write and execute test cases, create defect reports etc.
- Test Automation which involves Java, Selenium WebDriver and Cucumber
After successfully completing your training, you will work on-site with one or more of our prestigious clients for a two-year programme. You’ll work on exciting projects, possibly involving testing hardware and infrastructure, or digital projects, where you’ll be testing applications across digital portfolios, including mobile applications (iOS and Android) and web applications. Most of these digital programmes are customer facing applications, so you will help make a big difference in improving the experience of customers and you will be able to see the impact that the testing has had on the product.
But that’s not all, there’s plenty to get involved with outside of work too, with social events and networking, as well as charity initiatives and much more.
Apply now if you have:
- A degree, preferably within a STEM discipline but all degrees considered
- A passion and enthusiasm to succeed within the IT industry
- An analytical mind-set so that you can identify the variety of tests that could be run to validate functionality
- A curiosity to think of a range of approaches that could be used to break the software
- A professional pessimism to see the negative aspects of software no matter how high in quality it seems
- Excellent communication skills to effectively communicate thoughts and ideas to all different types of people in the software development lifecycle
We provide you with:
- The opportunity to receive industry recognised training and qualifications
- Development of cross functional IT skills e.g. stakeholder management, communication, planning and managing pressure
- Understanding of core software testing principles and practices e.g. risk management, reviewing documentation, writing and executing test cases, raising defects
- A foot in the door to some of the world’s most reputable organisations
- Mentoring and on-going support throughout your entire FDM journey
- Modern and central training academies
- Social events and networking
With start dates all year round, why not make an application today and kick-start your career in technology.???????
Please note, applying for this role does not guarantee a place on this particular stream, you will be assessed at the assessment day to align you to a best suited role for your skillset. There are other roles available including; Software Development, IT Service Management and Business Intelligence.